oooooooo what I've gotooooooo

ooandwwhat I wantoo

...

here's the latest from December '18

although the original Ford tail lights really do look cool, I had only one

so to increase my night time visibility, I shopped for some high tech light-guide/LED lights

 

using the gaskets, I marked where to cut the holes

 

creating deep tunnels using a makeshift shaping tool and the wooden bucks I made (see above)

 

following a Youtube tutorial I built these ham cans to get the lights decently set straight

 

each side was measured, fit, marked, and cut to shape

 

everything welded up it was time...

 

to sling on that green slime again

 

I like the way the shape of the oval rear window is reflected in the tail lights

...

and here's the rest from earlier this year

endless filling and sanding

 

really is tiresome and boring

 

but rushing the job doesn't cut it either - still too bumpy in parts

...

so let's get rusty instead

the chocolate brown primer has been applied and sanded lightly

stirring the rust effect paint thoroughly is essential, says the manual

 

rolled on rust effect base coat

 

coated with an actuator from a spray bottle

 

then it takes four to eight hours to take an amazing effect (see rollover)

 

...

 

here's the whole story starting in May 2018

start with some bracing to minimize body flex

 

then mark and cut the A-pillars

 

generously cutting out the rear window area

 

leaving a gaping hole

 

B-pillars are next

 

after the C-pillars are cut the roof comes off

 

instant convertible

 

aligning the A-pillars and checking drop and angle

 

to avoid porthole type short rear side windows

 

we'll cut out the whole side panel and move that backwards

 

steel bars inside the car support the wobbly roof

 

part of the c-pillar is used to fill the gap above the door

 

relief cuts at the base of the B-pillars and a ratchet strap to bend the posts in

 

checking comfy driving position...

 

trickiest bit obviously is the rear section

 

and that's the end of day one

 

finishing late with a barbie and a beer...

 

leaning forward the rear window area to match the roof curve

 

folding down the lower lip to avoid bump in the sail panel

 

roof panel filler piece

 

triangular patch panel is all it needs to finish the rear

 

nice flow of the roof line including the original drip rail swing to the rear mark the end of day two

...

 

puzzling back together the pieces of the door frame

 

with a lot of welding and hammering into position

 

making a rounded corner for rear side window

 

drop in a seat cushion...

 

...and have girlfriend check for cruising comfort

...

one doorframe each mark the end of day three and four

...

 

and then it's endless grinding of a zillion spotwelds

 

and li'l details like fixing the line of a door edge with welding rod

 

getting gaps kinda sorta straight

 

adding steel strips to the cut out C-pillar drip rails

to get a smooth flowing curve towards the rear

 

adding steel bars and patch panels to make the inside rigid as well

 

just never forget to step back and study the flow

...

 

but then it's back to work

like filling the welds on the pillars

 

and cutting down the inner window frames

 

the patient is bandaged with some glassfibre matting

 

the idea is to give the welds some extra strength

to avoid the bondo cracking all along the welds later on

...

not very traditional old school metal skillz kinda stuff like so, I know

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

so next I'm splashin' on copious amounts of bondo

 

the longboard surfin' sandman

 

ooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooo whadda dirty dusty kind uv'affair ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

then spray on some contrasting paint

 

and sand down with the longboard to reveal those low spots - cool unintentional patina effect

 

generally, I'm happy with the flow of the roofline

 

though I wish that drip rail would flow more with the roof line behind the rear quarter windows

 

 

lots more cool details as we go!